There is so much to Kvell about! What an incredible evening it was. Very meaningful, with great attendance, a fabulous program and our ‘Memories Project’, recognizing 8 outstanding women. It was all quite impressive and the very special ‘Memories’ film developed for this occasion was indeed a conversation piece that we can all be proud of. Of course, we served an array of delicious desserts at our reception that followed. Everything was yummy. Well done!!!
Esther welcomed very special guests: Marla Dan, CHW National President, Marion Mayman, Past CHW National President, and Steve Cotsman, husband of the late and dear Terry Schwarzfeld, Past CHW National President.
Toby Yan was our gracious MC and our wonderful program included Marla Dan, who joined us from Toronto, spoke passionately about our collaborative support for numerous projects in Israel such as CHW Hadassim Children and Youth Village. Marla recognized the following women whose financial contribution goes a long way in helping ensure these projects continue to thrive: Ruth Aaron (Woman of Valour), Gina Grant (Legacy Circle), Esther Kulik and Patsy Royer (Sustainers).
Esther Kulik acknowledged the dedication and hard work of the Ottawa Centre council members, who we are incredibly grateful to as their collective and individual efforts result in repeated successes on a yearly basis:
- 1st Vice-President and Annual Campaign Chairperson – Marilyn Schwartz
- 2nd Vice-President – Lynn Gillman
- Treasurer – Debbie Goldstein
- Corresponding Secretary – Linda Senzilet
- Financial Secretary – Debbie Baylin
- Recording Secretary – Robin Chernick
- Newsletter – Linda Senzilet
- Gina Grant – fellow member of CHW National Board of Directors and
- Donations Cards – Debbie Goldstein
The Terry Schwarzfeld Award which was established in 2009 honours the name and memory of Terry Schwarzfeld z’l, is presented biennially, in the alternate years to the Lena Coplan Cup, to the member of CHW Ottawa Centre who best exemplifies the ideals of CHW. This year’s award was presented by Toby Yan and Steve Cotsman to Esther Kulik, Current Ottawa Centre President. Toby Yan presented the award on behalf of Gina Grant who was unable to attend.
The following CHW Ottawa Centre Esther Awards were presented by Lynn Gillman and Esther Kulik. These are presented annually to an outstanding member of each chapter (presented by chapter presidents). The winners were:
1. Linda Bonder and Sophie Frenkel – Amit Chapter
2. Beryl Ben Reuven – Negev Chapter
In summary, many thanks go to:
- Toby as MC with her customary grace, eloquence and sensitivity
- Lynn Gillman for all of her work in organizing and getting trophies, for taking care of logistics and physical arrangements, as well as the dessert reception committee
- Ruth Kahane Goldberg for being instrumental in bringing the ‘Memories Project’ and the ‘Memories film’ from a vision to a reality
- Throughout the movie, we have several songs sung by Bev Gershkovitch, Clara Halasz and Liane Freedman
- Sandy Bennett is the narrator
- Our film producers were Ruth Kahane Goldberg and J. Mark Smith
- Our interviewers: Ruth Kahane Goldberg, Sandy Bennett, Sharon Michaelson, Naomi Lipsky Cracower, Marcia Saipe, Sophie Frenkel and Esther Kulik
- Esther Kulik for the Memories Booklet
- Emily Leonoff, Ottawa Jewish Archives and Ian Sadinsky and Anna Bilsky, Ottawa Jewish Historical Society
- Recognition of 8 outstanding women, who were interviewed for our ‘Memories Film’: Miriam Weiner and daughter Carol Gradus, Annette Albert, Helen Saipe, Marion Mayman, Dorothy Nadolny, Anne Bernick and her son Mark Bernick, Gloria Krugel, and Jean Naemark
A great start to the year ahead!